Re-naming and Re-dedication to public service.

December 15, 2009

Re-naming and Re-Dedication

To Public service

of

Fishguard  Lifeboat

‘Charterhouse’

1909 – 1931

—————————————————————–

From County Echo – December 1909

15th December 1909


Fishguard’s Motor Lifeboat – Presentation, Dedication and Christening.
The triple ceremony of presentation, dedication and christening in connection with Fishguard’s new motor lifeboat “Charterhouse” took place on Wednesday afternoon of last week in the presence of a very large and representative gathering, embracing the elite of the locality.
The Rev. Gerald Henry Rendall, M.A., Litt.D., LID., Headmaster of Charterhouse School, the past and present scholars of which are the donors of the boat arrived by the afternoon Irish Express, being accompanied by Mrs. Rendall, the Rev. G. S Davies (Master of Charterhouse), and Mrs. Davies, together with half-a-dozen of the scholars, and were welcomed on the platform by Mr. Walter J. Vaughan (the local Hon. secretary) and other gentlemen.

__________________________________________________________

15th December 2009
The double ceremony of re-naming and re-dedication to public service of the 1909 Fishguard Lifeboat ‘Charterhouse’ took place on Tuesday 15th December  in the presence of a representative gathering embracing the ‘elite’ of the locality.
Tony Anstee, Jeffrey Matthews and Christopher Walmsley representing the Charterhouse [Old Carthusians] arrived by the afternoon Irish Express. 100 years to the date and time!
At 1:30pm Reverend Brian Barnes conducted a service in the presence of:-
The Mayor, Deputy Mayor & Deputy Mayoress.
Charterhouse Returns Committee:-  Chairman Richard Davies,  Vice-Chairman Gwilym Price, Secretary Bob Wheatley, Treasurer Chris Williams, Robert Rees, Philip Rees, John Butler,  Dr. David Davies, Mike Iles, Richard Goswell, Coxswain Paul Butler, Philip Davies, Steve Done and Jay Morrell.
Tony Anstee, Jeffrey Matthews, Christopher Walmsley, and David Brundan representing the Charterhouse and O.C.Y.C
Neil Lomas, Anne Lomas and Judith Lomas. [Donating the Marian]
Rhian & Jeff Peters, Gerald and Therese Lewis [Tom Perkins’ Family]
A. Hendri, Peter Davies, Adam Blair Benson-Davies (BA Hons) of Fishguard
Ian Hunter [Hon. Sec of Fishguard Lifeboat.]
Members from POINT in Fishguard – Kate Newton, C.J. Mitch, Helen Wright and Claire Holland
Christine Davies, Jac Williams, Suzie Ferguson, Judy Brundan, Steve Phillips, Roger Strawbridge, Johnny Morris and W.J. [Billy] Davies.

———————————————————————————

Charterhouse served as Fishguard’s lifeboat from 1909 to 1931 having being donated by Charterhouse School. In 1920 Charterhouse was involved in the famous Hermina rescue. The RNLI awarded 1 Gold Medal, 3 Silver Medals, and 9 Bronze medals to the crew.
In 1931 it was de-commissioned by the RNLI and was converted to a private yacht called Marian. It was acquired by the Lomas Family in 1946 and four generations of the family have sailed in her.
In June 2008, it was found by Phil Davies in North Wales, and became a subject of his research and a book. The community was delighted to be offered the Marion/Charterhouse by the Lomas Family  and a Charterhouse Returns Committee and website was formed. www.ChaterhouseReturns.com
On 23rd June 2009 the Lomas Family took the Marian to sea with their friends and Phil Davies, and on the return the Charterhouse was lifted onto Paul Morgan’s transporter [Dinas] for the 155 mile journey to Fishguard. The official welcome for the Charterhouse’s return was on the 24th June 2009. The Press reported the event, as did the TV.
This means that Phil Davies was the last ‘Fishguardian’ to go to sea on the Charterhouse and perhaps the only ‘Fishguardian’ to sail on her since 1931!
Since June the committee have prepared it for restoration, raising funds and charitable status. In the future the Charterhouse will be become a major tourist attraction in the new marina. At present due to the generosity of STENA, the Charterhouse is alongside the Fishguard Lifeboat Station [100 yards from her berth in 1909]
Today 15th December, Tony Anstee from the Old Carthusians re-named the Marian – The Charterhouse, and unveiled her new name and Jeffrey Matthews broke champagne over the bows. The Deputy Mayor, Bob Wheatley presented the Judith Lomas with a name-plate for Marian [completed by Coxswain Gray RNLI of St. Davids].
Speeches by Richard Davies [Chairman of Charterhouse Returns] by Judith Lomas and Tony Anstee indicated the value, emotion and interest in the project.
The group then moved to the Bay Hotel where there was an exhibition of images, and original artefacts from the Charterhouse and a film of the 1921 presentation of medals and films of various lifeboats on station at Fishguard. The film of Coxswain Frankie George putting the Marie Winstone through the conditions of a severe gale at the back of the breakwater had everyone spellbound. [Chris Williams –Treasurer of Charterhouse Returns was on board that day]
It was putting the Charterhouse rescue of Hermina in perspective! The Charterhouse rescue was in the dark and was rowed and sailed when the engine failed. How did they cope?
A buffet was laid on by the staff of the Bay Hotel, and the staff were so helpful in setting up the exhibition.
Speeches by Tony Anstee resulted in two cheques being presented to Restoration Fund with a promise of more to come.
Richard Davies thanked all who had made this day so rewarding and emotional.
Phil Davies – December 2009

.

.

Order of Service by Phil Davies.

Neil Lomas, Anne Lomas, Judith Lomas & Phil Davies.

Read the County Echo article here:-123

Advertisements

Neil and Anne Lomas visit Fishguard

October 14, 2009

On the 12th October Neil and Anne visited the Charterhouse Returns Committee at The Pendre Inn.

The Charterhouse original wheel, original Jib [sail] and the original ON 563 brass plate was presented to Richard Davies [Chairman].

Phil Davies presented Neil and Anne with a Special Limited Edition book on the Charterhouse [only 5 copies published]

The following morning they were guests at the Fishguard Lifeboat Station where Steve Done, Philip Rees, David Davies and Coxswain Paul Butler showed the new station and took them on board Blue Peter!

DSC_3414-JM2o

Photo by Johnny Morris

DSC_3420JM

Photo by Johnny Morris

IMG_0518

IMG_0519

IMG_0522

IMG_0523


‘The Return’ Page Added

June 27, 2009

A new page has been added to view the Return of the Charterhouse on 23rd & 24th June 2009

https://charterhousereturns.wordpress.com/the-return/


Loading The Marian On To The Transport

June 23, 2009

At 13:00 hrs we started to lift the Marion out of the water

[12.5 tons -40-ft long]

Two members of the Charterhouse Returns committee travelled to Porth Penrhyn for the occasion. Mike Iles and Bob Wheatley with their wives.

IMG_0369_resize

View the photographs here:-

https://charterhousereturns.wordpress.com/the-return/


Return Date – 23rd June 2009

June 4, 2009

The return of the Charterhouse

is scheduled for 23rd June.

The lorry from Paul Morgan

will be picking up the Charterhouse

at 13:00hrs.


Our second visit to the Marian (Charterhouse)

April 23, 2009

Six members of the Charterhouse Returns group travelled to Porth Penrhyn on Wednesdsay 22nd April.

Phil Davies, Phil Rees and Steve Done in one car and Richard Davies, Bob Wheatley and Mike Iles in the other car.

We left at 6:15am and arrived at the Marian at 9:30am and then we spent some 2.5 hours in the vicinity.

The Lomas Family, Neil, Anne, Judith, Ruby and Dougie arrived to show us their boat.

We inspected the Marian and a sister lifeboat as well as meeting Scott Metcalfe.  Scott has a engine-box for us to exchange and will be lifting the Marian onto the lorry for us.

The main purpose of the visit was to assess the possibility of a sea delivery or a road delivery!

img_01901

Here are some general photographs.

img_0204

img_02072

The original wheel from the Charterhouse

img_02051

img_0208a1

Phil Rees,  Bob Wheatley,  Richard Davies, Neil Lomas and Steve Done [Phil Davies behind camera!]