January 14, 2012
Mr Philip Davies, passed away in August 2010 due to the effects of Motor Neurone Disease which he had been diagnosed with during the previous year.
Phil had devoted his time and energy to researching the Charterhouse and working for its return to Fishguard and Goodwick. Phil created this blog and the CharterhouseReturns.com website to detail the history of the boat and to act as a record of its return. He thoroughly enjoyed this activity and fortunately lived to proudly see the Charterhouse return ‘home’ to Fishguard harbour.
Working with like-minded members of Fishguard and Goodwick, a committee was formed to bring the Charterhouse home and to ensure its restoration. The committee continue their hard work on the restoration project: keep track of this over at www.CharterhouseReturns.co.uk (please support them if you can with your time or sponsorship!).
CharterhouseReturns.com, and this blog, shall remain online as a record of the Charterhouse, its history and its eventual return to Fishguard and Goodwick.
This entry posted by David Davies, son of Mr Philip Davies.
Philip Davies (right) at the wheel of the Charterhouse with the then owner Mr Lomas.
August 2, 2010
The committee made a presentation to Phil Davies at the Pendre Inn.
The Point team had removed the portholes from the cabin and Rob Rees inserted one of the portholes into a timber plaque.
June 29, 2010
29th June 2010
This afternoon I visited the Charterhouse on the quay at Fishguard Harbour.
Rob Rees [Restoration Leader] and Claire [Team Leader at POINT] together with six members of POINT were working on the project. The cabin-top had gone and the view of the empty hull surprised me.
The POINT group with Claire and Gwilym Price [Dep. Chairman of Charterhouse Returns]
Rob Rees teaching a new skill and below the result of the skill!
Phil Davies presented the book on Charterhouse to Claire [Team Leader at POINT] for the reading room at their HQ at Parc-y-Shwt.
December 15, 2009
Re-naming and Re-Dedication
To Public service
1909 – 1931
From County Echo – December 1909
15th December 1909
Fishguard’s Motor Lifeboat – Presentation, Dedication and Christening.
The triple ceremony of presentation, dedication and christening in connection with Fishguard’s new motor lifeboat “Charterhouse” took place on Wednesday afternoon of last week in the presence of a very large and representative gathering, embracing the elite of the locality.
The Rev. Gerald Henry Rendall, M.A., Litt.D., LID., Headmaster of Charterhouse School, the past and present scholars of which are the donors of the boat arrived by the afternoon Irish Express, being accompanied by Mrs. Rendall, the Rev. G. S Davies (Master of Charterhouse), and Mrs. Davies, together with half-a-dozen of the scholars, and were welcomed on the platform by Mr. Walter J. Vaughan (the local Hon. secretary) and other gentlemen.
15th December 2009
The double ceremony of re-naming and re-dedication to public service of the 1909 Fishguard Lifeboat ‘Charterhouse’ took place on Tuesday 15th December in the presence of a representative gathering embracing the ‘elite’ of the locality.
Tony Anstee, Jeffrey Matthews and Christopher Walmsley representing the Charterhouse [Old Carthusians] arrived by the afternoon Irish Express. 100 years to the date and time!
At 1:30pm Reverend Brian Barnes conducted a service in the presence of:-
The Mayor, Deputy Mayor & Deputy Mayoress.
Charterhouse Returns Committee:- Chairman Richard Davies, Vice-Chairman Gwilym Price, Secretary Bob Wheatley, Treasurer Chris Williams, Robert Rees, Philip Rees, John Butler, Dr. David Davies, Mike Iles, Richard Goswell, Coxswain Paul Butler, Philip Davies, Steve Done and Jay Morrell.
Tony Anstee, Jeffrey Matthews, Christopher Walmsley, and David Brundan representing the Charterhouse and O.C.Y.C
Neil Lomas, Anne Lomas and Judith Lomas. [Donating the Marian]
Rhian & Jeff Peters, Gerald and Therese Lewis [Tom Perkins’ Family]
A. Hendri, Peter Davies, Adam Blair Benson-Davies (BA Hons) of Fishguard
Ian Hunter [Hon. Sec of Fishguard Lifeboat.]
Members from POINT in Fishguard – Kate Newton, C.J. Mitch, Helen Wright and Claire Holland
Christine Davies, Jac Williams, Suzie Ferguson, Judy Brundan, Steve Phillips, Roger Strawbridge, Johnny Morris and W.J. [Billy] Davies.
Charterhouse served as Fishguard’s lifeboat from 1909 to 1931 having being donated by Charterhouse School. In 1920 Charterhouse was involved in the famous Hermina rescue. The RNLI awarded 1 Gold Medal, 3 Silver Medals, and 9 Bronze medals to the crew.
In 1931 it was de-commissioned by the RNLI and was converted to a private yacht called Marian. It was acquired by the Lomas Family in 1946 and four generations of the family have sailed in her.
In June 2008, it was found by Phil Davies in North Wales, and became a subject of his research and a book. The community was delighted to be offered the Marion/Charterhouse by the Lomas Family and a Charterhouse Returns Committee and website was formed. www.ChaterhouseReturns.com
On 23rd June 2009 the Lomas Family took the Marian to sea with their friends and Phil Davies, and on the return the Charterhouse was lifted onto Paul Morgan’s transporter [Dinas] for the 155 mile journey to Fishguard. The official welcome for the Charterhouse’s return was on the 24th June 2009. The Press reported the event, as did the TV.
This means that Phil Davies was the last ‘Fishguardian’ to go to sea on the Charterhouse and perhaps the only ‘Fishguardian’ to sail on her since 1931!
Since June the committee have prepared it for restoration, raising funds and charitable status. In the future the Charterhouse will be become a major tourist attraction in the new marina. At present due to the generosity of STENA, the Charterhouse is alongside the Fishguard Lifeboat Station [100 yards from her berth in 1909]
Today 15th December, Tony Anstee from the Old Carthusians re-named the Marian – The Charterhouse, and unveiled her new name and Jeffrey Matthews broke champagne over the bows. The Deputy Mayor, Bob Wheatley presented the Judith Lomas with a name-plate for Marian [completed by Coxswain Gray RNLI of St. Davids].
Speeches by Richard Davies [Chairman of Charterhouse Returns] by Judith Lomas and Tony Anstee indicated the value, emotion and interest in the project.
The group then moved to the Bay Hotel where there was an exhibition of images, and original artefacts from the Charterhouse and a film of the 1921 presentation of medals and films of various lifeboats on station at Fishguard. The film of Coxswain Frankie George putting the Marie Winstone through the conditions of a severe gale at the back of the breakwater had everyone spellbound. [Chris Williams –Treasurer of Charterhouse Returns was on board that day]
It was putting the Charterhouse rescue of Hermina in perspective! The Charterhouse rescue was in the dark and was rowed and sailed when the engine failed. How did they cope?
A buffet was laid on by the staff of the Bay Hotel, and the staff were so helpful in setting up the exhibition.
Speeches by Tony Anstee resulted in two cheques being presented to Restoration Fund with a promise of more to come.
Richard Davies thanked all who had made this day so rewarding and emotional.
Phil Davies – December 2009
Order of Service by Phil Davies.
Neil Lomas, Anne Lomas, Judith Lomas & Phil Davies.
Read the County Echo article here:-123
November 20, 2009
November 2019 Update:
The Charterhouse Returns Trust is a charity registered in the UK no. 1139336.
Friday, November 20th, 2009
The process is under way. Committeee Member Richard Goswell is in charge.
Due to a local contact with the firm listed below, we are involved with:-
Partner Property Development and Public Law
Vice-Chairman Geldards LLP
Our contact from the firm is Giselle Davies.
October 14, 2009
On the 12th October Neil and Anne visited the Charterhouse Returns Committee at The Pendre Inn.
The Charterhouse original wheel, original Jib [sail] and the original ON 563 brass plate was presented to Richard Davies [Chairman].
Phil Davies presented Neil and Anne with a Special Limited Edition book on the Charterhouse [only 5 copies published]
The following morning they were guests at the Fishguard Lifeboat Station where Steve Done, Philip Rees, David Davies and Coxswain Paul Butler showed the new station and took them on board Blue Peter!
Photo by Johnny Morris
Photo by Johnny Morris
October 8, 2009
As Stage One of the Charterhouse project has been completed [The Return], new members have been added to the Committee to cope with Stage Two [The Restoration]
Richard Davies [Chairman]
Vice-Chairman – Gwilym Price
Secretary – Bob Wheatley
Treasurer – Chris Williams
Coxswain Paul Bultler
Dr. David Davies